So last week I FINALLY found out where I will be living for the majority of my time in Germany...
Final PlacementMainz is the capitol of the state Rheinland-Pfalz, which most Germans call the "Vacation State" because it's really pretty with nice(r) weather than in the rest of Germany. Almost all of Germany's wine is produced there, and there's over 500 castles and fortresses along the Rhein River. So I guess you can say I'm pretty psyched.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainz
I'm going to be attending Fachhochschule Mainz (University of Applied Sciences) for Business along with two other CBYX participants. We've already got info on attending a group trip to St. Goar and some other activities, which is bittersweet. For one, I'm super excited to begin the next part of this program and to meet more Germans and international students, but on the other hand, our time spent in the language school is very comfortable, and when we all move to our separate placements, we are bound to feel pretty isolated for awhile.I also found out I will be living in a private student apartment. At first I was bummed because I wanted a host family so that my German could improve, but now I realize that this is best living situation. I can have who ever I want over whenever I want, will have my own private space, and can leave/travel whenever I want, among other pros.
Picture gallery of apartment complex: Wallstrasse
Language School
I'm still nervous about my speaking ability. I see everyone around me's German getting better daily, but I feel mine is somehow getting worse. I get very intimidated by good speakers and just shell up. Last night, me and two friends met our Sprachpartners, which are Germans who want to work on their English so you get together with them and speak German for half the time and English the other half. All four Germans we met were really nice, but when we were speaking German I mostly just sat and listened while my friends spoke German. I really don't know why I do it. I hate it. I hope I look back on this in 6 months and laugh at my worries hahha......... yeah, let's hope.
Today was our teacher (on far left), Martin's last day to teach us. It was also Ruslan (light blue shirt) the 14 year old Russian's last day. On Monday we get a certificate of completion of one language level, get new teachers, and then move on to the next level. Yikes.
Amsterdam
Last weekend a bunch of us CBYXers made a trip to Amsterdam which, naturally, was a great time. I honestly think I could have fun anywhere, just as long as I have friends to go with. The city was beautiful. We mostly just walked around the city and checked out some local bars and restaurants. On Sunday we went to the Anne Frank House, which was really interesting and definitely worth the long wait outside the door! We were going to go to the Van Gogh Museum, but the line was outrageous and it was cold and rainy outside. Maybe next time. One of my favorite parts of the trip was hanging out at a brewery that the locals went to. A ton of people (including all of us) sat outside this place waiting for it to open. Inside they had pretty much every brand of beer you could imagine lined up and down all the walls. We found Corona, Budweiser, Red Stripe, and yes... even Pabst Blue Ribbon on the wall. I plan on making a trip back sometime before I leave.
Other News
Kohe, the Japanese exchange student, left to go back to Japan today. Sad day.
Train tickets to Munich for Oktoberfest are booked and deposit on the tent we're sleeping in is in. Can't wait.
Bought train tickets to Belgium today. Going next weekend, spending a night in Brussels, then traveling to Bruges for a day. I'm excited to try some delicious waffles, chocolate, and beer.
To see more pictures of my adventures, check out my Picassa Album!

Yay Chrissy!
ReplyDeleteI was really self-conscious speaking Italian in Rome. It seems like just you have to kind of feel stupid for a little while and then you really start picking it up really fast.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're having a great time! Miss you, mamacita.
your apartment complex in Mainz looks awesome! reminds me of our dorm room times :) can't wait for my visit...maybe you can show me amsterdam?
ReplyDeleteI had the same thing with speaking German during my class, because so many people were so much better than me I felt really stupid and like I should have been picking it up faster, and I ended up not wanting to talk ever. Our advanced class definitely could have split up between "extra advanced" and "sort of advanced" and I wish they had.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I really should have just gone for it anyway because that's the only way you're going to get better. It's just going to get more awkward as people get better and better. I wish I wasn't as concerned with what the other Americans in my class thought about my speaking, but I was. If I got to do it over again (which I don't, so you should) I would have just tried to talk as much as possible anyway.