Well, I have a badge now... so it must be official!

My first days at SCHOTT have gone really well. The first day I was put in a room with a bunch of other new interns, where we had to get up and talk about ourselves (where you're from, last movie saw, blah blah blah) all in German of course.... which is when I found out I was the only non-German in there. Awesome. Then we went to lunch at the company "Kantine" where I got the "Texas Hacksteak" .... well whatever I ate, it was definitely nothing I've ever seen in Texas hahah.... whatever. It was good. Then, I went to my FREE German lesson (woohoo!) with two other Americans I had met at lunch. We found out we would be getting free German lessons for an hour and a half every Tuesday in the afternoon. So excited... especially since there will be only 4 of us total, so lots of individual help, and the teacher is really cool. After my lesson, I finally made my way over to SCHOTT Solar, where I met the people in my department and got settled into my new desk (complete with huge wide screen monitor and phone... wooo! oh the joys in life).
So it sounds like my department has a lot of projects waiting for me to do... every couple of days or so I have to meet with a new person in the department and learn what they do. Pretty cool I think. They also said if I have an interest in any other department of the company, they would talk to those people and I could spend a week or two there learning how they do things. I asked my co-workers if they could speak English to me just for the first two weeks or so, just so I can understand how to do everything, and then.. German time. Yikes! I'm really really excited to see where this opportunity takes me...
... but.....I already feel like an old lady... you mean people go to sleep early EVERY NIGHT, wake up early EVERY MORNING... to go to the SAME PLACE 5 days a week??? Oh man. Panic attack. I already feel my social life dwindling, but I know it's for the best... Time to buckle down and grow up I suppose.
Getting to Know Mainz
 |
| Biking over the Main River in Frankfurt |
In other news, I've been trying to get to know my city more since I have never really spent a good amount of time here. Last Saturday, I went to the Frankfurt flea market and picked out an awesome bright pink bike so that I don't have to rely on public transportation anymore.
 |
| Howard tryin out my new purchase |
I also went out for coffee on Sunday with Khoa, Howard, and our InWent tutor, Marie, where we discovered a delicious ice cream shop. Afterwards we walked around the city (it was actually a beautiful day in Mainz!! Over 30 degrees for once!) and Khoa showed us a hidden playground with a really fun slide, definitely suitable for adults, and TONS of fun. Then we walked around Volks Park which had a zoo in it, which I have decided is now my new favorite spot in Mainz. I will definitely have to go back with my bike next weekend, especially since it is right along the Rhein river as well. So pretty.
 |
| Marie by the slide |
 |
| Volkspark |
 |
| Beautiful day by the Rhein |
Sunday night was Super Bowl Sunday, but kick off time here in Germany wasn't until 12:30am... so we killed time by grilling some brats and hanging out at an Irish pub for awhile. I only stayed to see kickoff... cuz this girl has a job now. It actually feels good to be on a schedule now.
 |
| Grilling before the Super Bowl |
Up next for me? No trips planned. No appointments, meetings or seminars. Just work.... and I'm likin it that way.
Loving the last pic Chrissy ...
ReplyDelete