Wednesday, October 20, 2010

41°F and Rainy

That's pretty much been the weather here in Mainz for the past couple of days. This morning, I thought I would outsmart the weather and wear a long sleeve shirt, Northface fleece, jacket, huge scarf, jeans, thick socks, and boots. Well weather, you win again (granted it was 7:15 in the morning, still dark outside, and raining). I walked outside and was frozen for yet another morning... not as bad as before, but I was still sehr kaltttt! A girl I know from Sweden, was at the bus stop with me this morning and passed on some very important winter wear wisdom! I am writing it here so as to never, ever forget (apparently this weather is nothing. It will be getting down to -10°C/-15°C here come mid-November....)

-- The most important thing is to wear a hat (80-90% of heat escapes from your head!) and always keep your feet WARM and DRY since they are the closest to the cold, wet ground (you can even buy soles or something to put in your shoes to distance your feet even further from the ground).
-- Wear mittens, not gloves. Keeping your fingers together = warmth
-- A down jacket is good, but don't get a huge puffy Michelin Man one. One made with good material is sufficient enough.
-- A lot of layers won't help you. Again, just a good winter coat paired with a T-Shirt and good sweater should be enough.
-- Wear a knitted scarf. The "fashionable" polyester ones don't keep you warm.
-- Apparently there's certain clothes that skiiers wear under their actual clothes (GENIUS!) to keep their legs and such warm.
(Picture of me and Margaret in November in Texas. Probably only 40-50°F here)

So, looks like I have more shopping to do. Since clothes and boots are more expensive here than in the US (and since the exchange rate is getting worse by the day), I don't really see a down coat in my budget. Maybe my parents could bring one when they come at the beginning of December? *wink*wink*

Wish me luck... especially the people from Texas who understand that 40°F weather is our WINTER, not our October. yikes!!

1 comment:

  1. The ski underwear is called thermal underwear or "long johns". You should definitely get some. And a giant coat is soooo useful. The one I took to Iceland was $20 on sale at Urban Outfitters in Boston.

    And you're getting close to where the conversion rate was at when I was in Germany. Hopefully it goes back down!

    Miss you Miss Grigalis! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete