Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Days in Mainz

First Days
Me and Khoa, another CBYXer who is going to be living in Mainz as well, were on the same train from Cologne to Mainz, so we started to get to know each other right away haha…. We met Howard, the other CBYXer living here, & our inWent tutor and representative, all at the train station and went straight to the inWent office for a bunch of paperwork. The second we got off the train it was major German speaking time hahah…. The first two days here I think I spoke more German than I ever did my entire time in Bremen…. Kinda sad, but definitely good in order to improve my speaking!

We then went to our new apartments, which are only 3 years old and pretty well kept. A CBYXer that lived in my apartment last year left me a bunch of stuff, so I was really fortunate for that. I still don’t have internet, though. When I went to go get it set up, the IT guy said someone was apparently using my user name at another student apartment (which makes absolutely no sense), and he said it would take at LEAST a couple of days to fix. Whatever. The guy also only comes for one hour twice a week, so I have to wait until Wednesday night to talk to him again.

The Fachhochschule, where I will be going to school, is really nice. A Fachhochschule is a School of Applied Sciences, or a university for specific interests, like design, engineering, etc. I will be going for business. Monday morning, when classes started, me, Khoa, and Howard registered. I ended up picking classes all taught in German: a human resources class, a business administration/basic accounting class, and then, of course, a German as a foreign language class. The head of the department, after hearing me speak in German, said out of beginner, intermediate 1, intermediate 2, and advanced, she thinks I should be put in Intermediate 2. That’s good since I want to improve, but the time is on a Thursday night. Ughhhh. So, I made sure all of my classes are only on Thursday. Helllllo traveling?

Last weekend, the school organized a Riverboat Party on the Rhein for all the new students. I turned 22 at midnight on the boat, which was definitely unforgettable. It was girl from Estonia’s birthday, too, who turned 21, and so at midnight, the entire boat sung along to Stevie Wonder – Happy Birthday while me and her danced in the middle of the dance floor. So much fun. Sunday, on my actual birthday, I just took it easy and explored the city with Khoa. The weather was incredible, at least in the 80s, which was definitely unheard of in Bremen. We ate outside at a cafĂ© in the middle of the city and people watched. It was a good day. Friday, we all went to my school tutor’s house where she and her roommates cooked us dinner. We also met some other students and tutors, and went out to a club afterwards. It was fun to hang out and meet some new people. This week we also went to a mixer for the international students from the Fachhochschule and the local University, where I met people from all over the world (naturally), including a guy from Austin that goes to UT and knows a good friend of mine. Small, small world.

My first impressions of Mainz are mixed. I love the weather, and I like that there are a bunch of students, but it is quite smaller than Bremen, or Austin. I guess that should be a good thing, to get out of my comfort zone?? Who knows. I haven’t seen any impressive architecture, and the transportation system is lacking (compared to other European cities). But I’m sure my impressions will change once I get to know the city better, and get a(nother) bike! Everyone I’ve met has been really friendly, and I’m excited to start school and find some things to do to occupy my time here. I also need to start looking for an internship!

This weekend we’re going with the school to St. Goar and Loreley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for some sort of camping/hiking trip for the entire weekend. Should be fun. Hopefully I will get a new camera soon so I don’t have to keep stealing people’s pictures!

Check out Picassa pictures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment