Monday, October 25, 2010

Heidelberg


Heidelberg was incredibly beautiful. Mark Twain wrote a book about Heidelberg because he was so impressed with it, and he said the view from the famous castle was the most beautiful view he had ever seen. I now know why. I’ve never seen anything like it before. I took an audio tour of the castle, walked around and learned quite a few things about its history. I even saw the biggest wine barrel in the world stored inside (yes, it's HUGE). Some people might think castles and other historical monuments are “boring” or something, but I find it completing fascinating to think about what went on in that exact same location so many years before me. I just wish I knew a ton more about historical events, because I think some of the things would make more sense to me hahah… Either way, I highly enjoyed the tour and am excited to see some other places like that in the future.

We (this was a trip with my school) also took a tour around the city. Heidelberg is a pretty small town, located right on the Neckar River, and most of the buildings have that Fachwerkhaus-style, or cross-timbered house style. So cool looking. When the rest of the students left to go to Mainz around dinner time, I stuck around and met up with two CBYXers that lived with me in Bremen but now live in Heidelberg and Mannheim (10 minutes away). We went to an American 1950s diner (hilarious decorations) called Mandy’s and got incredibly excited when we saw that they served breakfast for dinner. HECK YES. I ordered an omelet (I think this is the first time I’ve ate eggs in Germany) which was delicious. Then we walked around the main part of town and went to a club under the castle. Somewhere during all this I lost my new scarf and gloves, but I’m not going to fret about it. I had a great time. We woke up late afternoon and ate Velveeta shells & cheese and drank American Coca Cola, thanks to my friend’s military friend who took her to the base. This has inspired to really figure out how to get onto my base. Ugh.

UT Longhorns representin'!
This weekend is Halloween, but it’s not that big of a deal in Germany like it is in America. I’ve seen a couple signs for Halloween parties around Mainz, which I think will be very interesting to go to in order to see a German’s take on it. But the exciting part of this weekend is that Helen and Whitney, two fellow CBYXers, are coming to visit me! We will be taking a wine tour along the Rhein river, checking out one of Germany’s largest techno club in Frankfurt, and of course, celebrating Halloween. It should be a good weekend.

P.S. Texas Rangers made it to the World Series!!!! I can’t believe I’m missing that but I am going to try everything I can to watch the games here. I heard there is an American bar somewhere in Frankfurt that might play the games. Let’s hope so!



Check out a lot more pictures of the castle and town of Heidelberg here!
(Thank you, friends, for letting me steal your pictures. I will be getting my new camera this week!)

1 comment: